Monday 15 October 2012

Using Texture

This exercise really got me thinking, and I found myself wondering around the flat looking for different textures I could try to recreate. First I would try sketching different textures with an Ink Pen and then move on to Frottage. 


Overall, I would say I have learnt  that using a pen to create texture probably gives you more control over how the design comes out whereas, I found with the Charcoal Frottage below, there was a more natural way of creating texture and happy accidents.

I really enjoyed doing this exercise, in a way it is very much the opposite of me, I like to be in control and to take my time with art and to be honest, the less mess the better, so to play about with charcoal was a different experience which I did not really know the outcome of. As noted on my piece, the sand paper produced a great tarmac effect whereas the string bag ( like a fishing net ) did not produce the outcome I thought, instead of a netting effect, the charcoal only picked up the small knots giving a spotty effect. I had picked up two leaves from outside, debating which to use so I picked both but added a few black felt tip marks to one of the leaves.  


I thought I would try a different method of applying texture through digitally modifying the Frottage, here I created a cracked plaster effect over the art piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment