Tuesday 9 October 2012

Odilon Redon Research

I had not heard about Odilon Redon until doing the OCA course, and I found myself comparing him to my favorite artist, H R. Giger, both from the fantasy Gothic style to the use of light within the paintings. In some pieces of work, the object or figure is generously illuminated from quite a bright source and this is the same for Giger. I think that how the Primary and Secondary light interact is more important in Realistic/Still Life artwork as opposed to Fantasy and Science Fiction (that is not to say light does not play its part in fantasy), it is just that with Fantasy, the light could be artificial, or even from more than one sun whereas you would have to follow the laws of nature with a piece like "Two Trees". 

It is interesting that although I prefer the more surreal artwork from Redon, such as "The Crying Spider" (below), in terms of perfect use of light, I found a Redon painting called "Boat In The Moonlight" whilst researching. The moonlight, which glows from the cloud/fog and hits the rocks looks amazing. 

The Crying Spider 1881


Boat In The Moonlight
Below are examples of H R Giger and the similarities I think he shares with Redon, from a fascination with the use of heads and mutation, to the dreamy feel of both their artwork to the two tone use of colour at times from grey to sepia.


Necronmicon IV - H R Giger 
H R Giger



No comments:

Post a Comment