Monday 15 October 2012

Assignment One : Natural Forms

Initially, I looked at the idea of doing a composition of Pine cones as my piece for the Natural Forms Assignment, this evolved to the idea of doing chunky bark from a tree, but I decided that I wanted more colour in the final piece so I opted for a selection of vegetables. I bought Broccoli, peppers, parsnip, green beans and radishes to start with  and set about arranging them on a ceramic white plate.


I very much see this project as telling a Mystery Story, each sketch made a clue to the next resulting in the draft composition. The shine from the peppers was not what I had hoped when coming to setting up the display unless I used artificial light, which I did not want to use. The black glossy plate was definitely the most important decision I had made as it lead to the idea of the aubergine. In terms of light direction, I ended up turning the whole display 90 degrees to best compliment the reflections produced.

First Draft

Overall, I am very happy with my Final Piece, I tried my best not to overwork things and  particularly like the shadow on the parsnip, the reflection of the yellow pepper on the aubergine and the reflection of the parsnip on the aubergine.




No comments:

Post a Comment