Friday 5 October 2012

Patrick Caulfield Study

In my study of Patrick Caulfield, I chose the medium of Digital Design using Adobe CS2 as my attempt to create a picture similar in style to Caulfield`s. I have noticed that Patrick uses objects deliberately out of place thus focusing on them more, The Lobster for example in the "Reserved Table". It is also interesting how removing an object from a picture does not impact on the information that is left behind, for example the table cloth from "Reserved Table" or the jug from " White Ware", it is very reminiscent of the famous optical illusion of where there is a Vase or two people facing each other. 


Patrick Caulfield "Arita Flask - Black"- White Ware Prints - 1990



For my subject of Negative Space, I have chosen my Cat, Garfield, I like the angle of his head from the photo below.


Original Photograph


By Posterising and simplifying the detail in the picture, I narrowed down the colors to just grey`s and black,  a characteristic of Caulfield ( Using a minimal Pallet).  I know that my attempt is perhaps a bit more busy than " White Ware " but I am satisfied that I have created something of similar style.


Research into Caulfield inspired me to try a different picture using Adobe CS2. I am interested in the mosaic effect in " All These Confessions" but wanted to try to combine this with "After Lunch"



After Lunch
All These Confessions 


It is as though Caulfield has no boundaries on what exists in reality, transparency of the wine glasses in "All These Confessions" is taken to the extreme and in "After Lunch", there is a reality outside of the window compared to the schematic feel of the room around the viewer.  I hope to have created something similar with the array of apples below.


Caulfield Apples

No comments:

Post a Comment