Friday 11 January 2013

Sketching an individual tree P.98

Sketching an individual tree P.98

I took my time on this sketch and wanted to give the tree lots of depth and dimension, I did this by overlapping branches and breaking the shadow up on the underlining ones, making them look three dimensional. In order to add the more subtle branches, I choose to selectively remove the house in the background and make it more dark, I would then lighten the general tone of the tree and add shading to the background. Finally, I used a putty rubber to add in subtle branches, by exposing the white of the paper.


Completed Sketch, Duration : 2-3hrs, using a 2B Graphite Pencil


Although I draw the majority of the tree outline and main shade for life, once I had enough information, I sat down to do the more detailed tones, and also decided to remove the house and fence in the foreground.


With my sketch, I tried to emphasis the odd branch coming towards the viewer, this can not be seen as clearly  on the tree I used, so I used this other more prominent tree branch as a reference, in terms of shadow and tone.

No comments:

Post a Comment