Tuesday 20 November 2012

Using Markers P.60

Using Markers   P.60

When setting up this composition, I immediately knew I wanted to use this metal wire fruit bowl, I knew that it would cause me problems in drawing its intricate design but I felt the pros outweighed the cons in terms of getting more exposure from the fruit, that would be limited in a regular bowl. Initially I played about with the fruit and found the grapefruit and banana quite dominant if both fully on show, so I chose to hide part of the banana behind the grapefruit and draped the grapes over the two. The pear plays quite an important part as it is propping up the apple on top of the kiwi fruit, the lime and passion fruit just neatly slotted in beside them


The flash on the camera altered the view to what I was seeing which was a much more contrasted composition.

In terms of a still life done with Markers, I think I have done pretty well to not overuse the black but to use it quite subtly  in places. I like how the shadow of the metal fruit bowl hits the surface of the fruit and how by using the side of a grey marker, I was able to pick up the rough texture of the watercolour paper at the bottom of the picture.


My overall issue with markers, again, I think is quality. I did my best to get them to blend, only slightly successful on the apple and lime and I am using  STAEDTLER triplus fineliners and Berol, I do not know if there are better quality markers out there to try or how the paper affects the piece. Markers are an interesting medium but probably my least favourite when working with still life art.

No comments:

Post a Comment