Tuesday 20 November 2012

Plants and Flowers in Coloured Pencil P. 64

Plants and Flowers in Coloured Pencil   P. 64

Before attempting my flower composition, I wanted to get know my new Polychrome Colouring Pencils, how they blended and how they could be layered, how the crosshatch technique would change the base colour. I felt that if I knew more about what these pencils were capable of, I could produce much better work. I kept this testing sample next to me while doing the piece.



Originally, I had in mind to use a selection of round daisy like flowers until I saw this artificial rose bouquet that was just too interesting to pass up. The stems were wire-based and quite poseable, the main bunch was woven together in an intricate way, with stems of long grass exploding out from the center. I though about negative space and how the grass stems would produce this and thought it would make a good composition. The petals were made of wood flake, and had a pinkish hue on them and I thought I would use this colour throughout my piece. To compliment the flower and rectangular vase, I used two objects on the table of different shapes, the egg cup to the left and the pink candle to the right. I placed the egg cup with a deliberate space between the vase and chose to set the candle further back, tucked slightly behind the vase to add depth. I also used a lamp to illuminate the vase which cast a very interesting shadow on the wall.

My chosen composition




I am very pleased with how this turned out, hopefully I think I have gotten rid of the habit of using too much black in my work now and that I can stick to using tonal colours to highlight edges etc. Even thought the flowers were artificial, I think it was the perfect choice due to the interesting effect that the grass stems have, which make the picture stand out more. I also like the magnified effect through the glass vase, of the candle especially. My crosshatch work seems to work quite well and I believe I have successfully created a good reflection off the table. The part I am most unsure about is the background, not the shadow, which I am very happy with but whether to include the TV or not, and whether it should of been turned off. I opted to leave it on to get a more silhouetted effect. 


Close of the main bunch of roses.


No comments:

Post a Comment